INVESTIGATING THE EARTH AND
THE UNIVERSE1. The Solar system
The Sun1.1 The Sun1.2 Planets
1.3 Natural satelites
* A Star in the centre of the Solar System.
* Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto
- the closest planet to the Sun.
- temperature can be over 300oC in teh day time.
- rotates on its own axis very slowly, making one full rotation every 59 Earth days.
- the second planet from the Sun.
- the size of Venus about the same as Earth.
- always covered by a very thick cloud of carbon dioxide and acid vapour.
- the temperature is extremely high, even though Venus is twice as far from the Sun as Mercury and receives only a quarter as much as light.
- the third planet from the Sun.
- the fifth largest planet.
- is the only planet with oxygen and water.
- only planet which living things can survive and grow.
- it takes about 65 days to revolve around the Sun and rotates its own axis once every 24 hours.
- the fourth planet from the Sun.
- is also known as red Planets its surface is being covered with red dust.
- is a cold and lifeless planet.
- one revolution of Mars around the Sun takes 687 days.
- the largest planet in the solar system.
- the fifth planet from the Sun.
- the planet which has the shortest day in the solar system.
- has sixteen Natural satelites or Moon and takes about 12 years to revolve once around the sun.
- the sixth planet from the Sun.
- it is surrounded by a system of rings which make it the most striking and beautiful planet when viewed through a telescope.
- the second the largest planet in the solar system but it is lighter than a body of water of the same size.
- the time taken for Saturn to revolve around the sun is around 29 years.
- Saturn rotates on its own axis once every 10.7 hours.
- the seventh planet from the Sun.
- it is blue because it has cold gasses, mainly made up of hydrogen and helium.
- it has ring around it but it can't be seen because it is too thin and dim.
- the eighth planet from the Sun.
- it's almost the twin of Uranus.
- it is a little heavier than Uranus and very slightly bigger.
- it is bluish-green
- Neptune consists mainly of ice with some rocks and gases and less atsmosphere.
- the ninth planet from the Sun.
- it is smallest planet in the solar system.
- it is made of rocks and thin ice.
- it is dark and cold planet.
- its surface temperature can be as low as -230oC.
- this planet can be seen only through a telescope because it is so far away from Earth.
* Objects around the planets, the Moon is the Natural satellite of the Earth
* Ice and dust that orbit around the sun.
* Rock or metal that orbit around the sun.